Wednesday 23 February 2011

Drawing Developments

A recent drawing day was extremely useful to loosen up my hand and work more on mark making. It also helped me to become less precious about my work. This means I'm able to experiment, without trying to make the outcome perfect.

First of all I drew without looking at the page with charcoal to create an abstracted drawing of a rear light on a vintage car. I never enjoy not being fully in control of the image I'm making, but this drawing is fun and has energy, which I wouldn't have been able to plan.

Similar technique used in this drawing and I started to slowly introduce one of the colours from my palette.

This set of angular rear lights and wing to a car form the Haynes International Motor Museum is very different to my other collected imagery as it is very geometric. This drawing concentrated on the negative space and covering sections with textures.

This drawing used one shape taken from an image in my sketchbook and explored the different patterns I could create with just that one shape. I found it challenging as my eye was drawn to the same repeat patern's, but I feel I used scale and texture to add depth to the drawing.
Colour proportion experiments are very important and essential to play with before dyeing fabrics and printing papers. I found this exercise very useful in previous projects and will relate back to these colour combination pages in my sketchbook before deciding which colours to layer in my prints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment