Tuesday 1 March 2011

Laser work!

This week I will be reviewing the work that I have produced so far and I will have to make an informed decision on which paper print designs to take forward into final wallpapers and fabric's for interiors. It is really helpful to seek the advise of peers to help make a final decision.


Here are two paper designs that I feel have worked well and combine simple line drawing with block colour. The grey pattern below creates a great texture which adds depth and interest to my layered print.


Today I was able to take a huge step forwards into transforming my paper designs into fabric's. It is only the beginning and lots left to do, but I am very pleased with my first laser experience! 

This large piece of equipment is the laser cutter...

I always use hand cut papers when developing my drawings into ideas, therefore the transition to laser cutting is the most natural progression. Using the laser I am able to combine my drawings with the cut through technique I enjoy using.

Firstly I produced a repeat pattern, in Photoshop, using my small drawing of a cog and then exported it into Illustrator to create a file suitable to use on the laser machine.

After the fabric was cut I took out the cog shapes and was left with this fantastic fabric. It will be great for layering over more complicated patterns and prints. The cut out pieces will also be used in another sample, so there is no waste.

Here is another paper printed design, which allows my chosen colours to overlap and form visible layers. I like this effect and it can be translated into different layers of fabric/ papers with see through sections.

This laser design was cut into a thin sheet of plastic. I have tried sourcing fabrics that are slightly masculine to suit my classic car and motorcycle theme. I will use vinyl and experiment with other interesting fabric's to create a new and exciting collection for interiors.

The plastic worked extremely well and by using a double sided print I have created a design that has multi purposes. It will look amazing with light shining through it, or perhaps as a room divider on a larger scale.

I also tried etching/ engraving the vinyl to create a subtle background detail.

By using the flash on my camera I am able to see how the engraving shows up when the light hits the fabric at certain angles. This is a great technique that I will experiment with further, maybe using a large scale image and thicker lines. This will make the pattern more visible, yet still keep it quite subtle.

1 comment:

  1. The black and white plastic "screen" is fab! It would make an awesome room divider :-)

    ReplyDelete